Finding out you are pregnant can be one of the happiest days of your life. You want to do everything that you can to take care of yourself as well as your baby that has already started growing inside you. The next nine months are important, as this is when you baby will grow and develop; therefore, you want to ensure that you have the healthiest pregnancy possible.
Here are 10 tips for a healthy pregnancy:
- Make certain that you take a pre-natal vitamin with folic acid every single day. This helps ensure that your body and your baby receive essential nutrients needed for a healthy life.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol and artificial coloring. Drink plenty of fluids, particularly water.
- Make sure you get enough rest. You want to aim for eight hours of sleep each night. If you find it difficult to sleep at night, make up for it during the day with a nap.
- Don’t smoke while you are pregnant, as this is known to result in low birth weight as well as long-term disabilities. Plus, you are at greater risk to miscarry if you smoke.
- Eat healthy. Make sure your diet consists of plenty of fruits and vegetables, lean protein, seeds and nuts and whole grains.
- Take time to exercise at a low-intensity. You can sign up for a pregnancy exercise class in your local area or just walk at a moderate pace for at least 20 minutes a day. Walk in the shade or indoors so that you don’t get too hot. Consider participating in yoga or taking up swimming.
- Steer clear of intense heat, such as hot tubs, saunas, etc. Your body temperature is raised when you are in high temperatures, which can cause stress on your unborn baby.
- Maintain proper hygiene during your pregnancy, such as washing your hands frequently.
- Try to wear shoes that are comfortable (no high heels, ladies!) and be sure to prop your feet up a couple times a day to help prevent swelling of the legs, ankles and feet.
- Minimize the stress in your life, as stress is not good for your baby or for you.
Most importantly, enjoy this incredibly extraordinary time in your life. It is one of the most beautiful transitions and remaining healthy during your entire pregnancy is important to giving birth to a beautiful and healthy baby.Share